The heat is on, and summer has arrived. You’re out camping with your friends in the middle of nowhere, but there’s no air conditioning anywhere to be found. Not only are you hot, but it’s preventing you from sleeping as well- how can that be comfortable? There’s always an answer though! This article will teach you how to make a portable AC unit for under $20.
The perfect DIY way is to build your own homemade portable air conditioner for under $20 that can be powered by solar energy, batteries or even AC power!
This is the perfect DIY project for those who are on a budget and looking for alternative ways of staying cool without spending hundreds of dollars on expensive air conditioning units.
The best part about this system is that it is completely silent so you won’t disturb anyone around while sleeping, which makes it great if camping with friends/family!
Here is the step-by-step process of building your own homemade portable air conditioner for under $20 that can be powered by solar energy, batteries or AC power.
Step-by-Step Process of How to make a Tent air conditioner
- Take a large rectangular cardboard box and cut off the two vertical parts on each side so it left you with one long piece of cardboard.
- Cut out a hole in the top to fit your fan inside, or if it is small enough, place it right on top of where the opening should be.
- Tape down the edges that might come up when you open this up like normal tape would do for an envelope. You can also paint your cardboard black or any other color because this will help absorb more heat from outside while trapping cool air inside as well!
- Next take some ice cubes and freeze them overnight before placing them into a plastic bottle (the kind used).
- Fill about three quarters of the bottle with water and then tightly close it.
- Leave about an inch of space from the top as this will be how your fan blows air into the container to cool things down! Please read here how to cool a tent without electricity
- Place a few ice cubes on top of where you want to place your fan in order for maximum cooling power
- make sure that there are enough gaps around all four sides so that air can circulate because this makes it work properly
- Next drill two holes at opposite ends of the plastic bottle (one hole should be facing up, one should point towards the bottom) and thread them through each side of your cardboard box. Then glue or tape these pieces together so they fit snugly inside without falling back out.
- Finally, attach your ice cubes by placing them in the bottom of your container. Place a large pot on top to keep everything cold but make sure it doesn’t touch the fan
- Plug in your fan and enjoy!
We hope this article has been informative and can help you decide on whether to buy an air conditioner. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us and we’ll be happy to answer them to you.