It is an obvious thing if tents are used and exposed to the outdoors they get muddy and dirty & cleaning them properly is a very essential thing to learn if you want your tent to last longer.
Here I’m going to answer the most asked question which is “Can we wash a tent in a washing machine?”
The answer to this is NO! You can’t and you shouldn’t put your tent in a washing machine for cleaning. The reason behind this is that tent’s fabric is not so strong and a washing machine can tear it apart. And sometimes washing machines also damages the waterproof part of your tent badly.
Apart from washing machines, you shouldn’t even be drying your tent in a dryer!
Now the questions arises is “how can we clean our tent?”
Well before that there are few things that you need to learn & keep in mind before you wash your tent.
First thing first, you should always read the instruction manual that comes with the tent from the manufacturing company and you must read and follow the instructions carefully.
Every tent, every model has its own design and fabric style so there is no hard rule of how you can wash a tent. You’ll have to see your tent’s type and then according to it you should be cleaning your tent. You can’t treat them all alike.
Now let’s see a few points that you need to follow while washing your tent.
First let’s take a look at THINGS YOU’LL NEED:
1. Lukewarm water.
2. Fragrance-free dish soap, a mild one
3. Cleaner specifically designed for outdoor gear
4. A bathtub or any other large tub
Points to remember:
1. If you want to avoid chemical store bought cleaners, though they work really great, you can use mix of baking soda & vinegar and gently rub it on the fabric of your tent. It will get rid of any smell and dirt.
2. For cleaning zippers of your tent, take some cleaning mixture and using a toothbrush gently rub it on the zippers to clean them and get rid of dirt and mud on them.
3. If there is some stubborn thing on your tent use a toothbrush and using some cleaner gently rub it on your tent’s fabric then rinse with water. If the stain on your tent still remains, dip it in lemon juice & water mixture and leave it in for about 10-15 minutes. Then rinse with water.
4. For getting rid of mold or mildew, you should soak your tent in vinegar & water in a tub, leave it for an hour or two, it will get rid of any mold or mildew. This is a highly effective technique.
5. NEVER dry your tent in direct sunlight. UV rays from the sunlight might damage the fabric of your tent and it might end up tearing. Always dry your tent in a place that has some shade.
That’s all folks! Following these common tips will help you a lot in washing your tent. Hope it helps you too.