If you’re planning on dispersed camping in the Spread Creek area, you’ll need to know where to find the perfect spot. While there are many dispersed campsites in the area, they are not always easy to find.
When looking for dispersed camping in the Spread Creek area, it’s important to keep a few things in mind. Dispersed camping is only allowed in certain areas. Be sure to check with the local Forest Service office before setting up camp.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss Where Is Spread Creek Dispersed Camping with a Complete Guide.
Where Is Spread Creek Dispersed Camping – Helping Guide
Spread Creek Campground is located in the Shoshone National Forest, west of Cody, Wyoming. The campground is situated along a creek at an elevation of 7,800 feet. There are 22 campsites available on a first-come, first-served basis. Drinking water and vault toilets are provided.
The campground is open from mid-June to mid-September. Fees are $5 per night for a single site and $10 per night for a double site. A campfire permit is required and can be obtained at the ranger station.
There are numerous hiking and fishing opportunities in the area. The nearest town is Cody, which is about 30 minutes away.
To get to the campground, take US Highway 14-16-20 west from Cody for about 23 miles. Turn left onto Forest Road 52 and follow it for about 3 miles. The campground will be on the right.
What Are The Benefits Of Dispersed Camping?
There are many benefits to dispersed camping some of them are given below:
- Dispersed camping allows you to enjoy the beauty of nature without the crowds or amenities of a developed campground.
- Dispersed camping is usually free or very low cost.
- Dispersed camping gives you a sense of solitude and peace that can be hard to find at developed campgrounds.
- Dispersed camping allows you to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and enjoy the quiet beauty of nature.
What Are Some Things To Keep In Mind When Dispersed Camping?
When dispersed camping, it is important to keep a few things in mind:
- Dispersed camping is only allowed in certain areas. Be sure to check with the local Forest Service office before setting up camp.
- Dispersed campsites can be difficult to find, so it’s a good idea to have a map of the area.
- Always practice Leave No Trace principles when camping in this area.
- Be sure to pack out everything that you bring in, including food waste and garbage.
- Be prepared for rough camping conditions. Dispersed camping sites are often located in remote areas and may not have the amenities that you are used to.
How To Find A Dispersed Campsite?
The best way to find a dispersed campsite is by using a map of the area. Most Forest Service offices have maps of their areas that show where dispersed camping is allowed. You can also find maps online, or purchase them at outdoor stores.
Once you have a map, it’s time to start looking for a campsite.
What To Bring When Camping In A Dispersed Site?
When dispersed camping, you will need to bring everything that you would normally need for camping, plus a few extra things:
- A good map of the area
- Bug spray
- Bear spray (if camping in bear country)
- A hat and sunglasses
- Extra food and water
- An extra phone charger
- Firestarter (such as a lighter or matches)
- A shovel
- Toilet paper
- Garbage bags
- Sleeping bag and pad
- Stove and cooking gear
- Water filter or purifier
- First-aid kit
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Bear horn or airhorn (if camping in bear country)
Camping in a dispersed area can be a great way to get away from the crowds and enjoy the peace and beauty of nature. However, it is important to remember a few things before you go.
Be sure to check with the local Forest Service office to see if dispersed camping is allowed in the area you plan to visit and be prepared for rough camping conditions. Most importantly, always practise Leave No Trace principles when camping in a dispersed area to help protect the natural resources.
Is Spread Creek On Federal Land?
A: Yes, the Spread Creek area is located on federal land.
What Is The Closest Town To Spread Creek?
A: The closest town is Dubois, Wyoming.
How Far Is Colter Bay From Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area?
A: Colter Bay is approximately 25 miles from the Spread Creek dispersed camping area.
How Much Does Dispersed Camping Cost?
A: Dispersed camping is usually free or very low cost.